Are there links between domesticity and reform? Do women possess a nurturing nature? Do women possess a special morality that men lack? Does it have to be women who carry through on reform?
Yea the questions involve reading up to page 241 i'm pretty sure. Anyways, regarding docs question I think that there is definitely a link between domesticity and reform. For example, in the case of Washingtonian women, their knowledge of domesicity was an important factor in bringing them to an understanding of their role and standing both socially and economically. I believe this understanding, in turn, helped them develop ideas and platforms for their various reform movements.
I think that there is a definite link between domesticity and reform. In the Puritan times, the mother was regarded as the moral authority of the household; thus, logically, the women's duty was to advocate temperance, sabbatarianism, and other such activities. This is especially evident during and after the Second Great Awakening, when women's church membership increases and they become the church's recruters.
I am going to agree with everything that has previously been said by kelly and chloe, but I am also going to add my input on the last part of doc's question. Though I believe that women played the greatest part in achieving their rights, I also think that men played a part in the women right's movement. For instance, Thomas Paine was one of the first men to suggest that women should have equal rights as men. There are numerous other examples but unfortunately I need to back to homework, so thats my thought.
I agree with the fact that there is a link between this domesticity and reform, and Chloe, your argument is exactly what I was going to say. But as to the other questions, I'm not sure I agree as much. Yes, women possess a nurturing nature, this is true, but they don't possess a morality that men lack. They possess a morality just as men do. They, however, were forced to undergo more servitude than men did.
Looking back, you can observe that the first thing that blacks did when freed from slavery was form churches and become very religious. Indeed, during their time of slavery, they turned to the church to help them. While the plights of these two groups may not have been exactly alike, Sarah Grimké related the sufferings of women to those of slaves. So their turning to religion may have been a part of a way to overcome this struggle, or at least search for answers within it.
It is also relevant to comment that those with power are often corrupted by it. In this sense, the morality of these men could have been tainted by this dominance in the political sphere. Who knows for certain?
So it doesn't have to be women who carry out reform. Those who are oppressed will find a way to reverse the power through some means. Women aren't the only ones who have carried out reform and they certainly aren't the only ones possible. They just pulled through in a time they had to.
I think there are certain links between domesticity and reform. In all the societies we have read about, women served as the guiding moral figure in their households, which helped them develop certain values (a sense of caring, the ability to recognize human conditions through nurturing). In this respect, (most) women do possess a nurturing nature. Because women have been cast in a mother role since before Puritanical society, they have a nurturing nature. That being said, I don't think women possess a special morality men lack. I think there are certainly differences between women and men (women are more analytical, etc.), however, this does not mean that women are more virtuous. Both sexes are virtuous, and every individual chooses how to represent this virtue, no matter what their sex. In this light, no, it does not have to women who carry through on reform.
Im gonna have to disagree with you Luckey. While the church may have been a leading insititution in promoting reform, it usually feel into the realm of the sabbatarian movemen and temperance, not women's rights. In fact, relgion was more of a way of putting women into their sphere instead of breaking them free. The Bible classifies women as igornant and dumb through numurous examples. Eve is the epitomy of this ignorance as she foolishly accepts the fruit form the tree of knowledge despite God's warning. Women are seen therefore seen as againts God and at the same time corrupting men when Eve gives Adam. Still dont believe me? Take a look at biblical evidence.
"And a man will choose...any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman...Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" Ecclesiasticus, 25:18, 19 & 33. 1
"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her."
Catholicism has always kept women out of the clergy as well as protestant sects such as Puritanism. Even when women work with the church, it is primarily working through movements pretaining to women's spheres such as the temperance of their husbands. The church took little involvement and gave little support in women's rights movement. The church tends to be an institution of conservatism and not one of progressive beliefs.
9 comments:
So I haven't read it yet, but as promised...
'MURRIKA!
Let the battles begin.
does any one know if we are supposed to read the other documents not from 223-230?
Yea the questions involve reading up to page 241 i'm pretty sure. Anyways, regarding docs question I think that there is definitely a link between domesticity and reform. For example, in the case of Washingtonian women, their knowledge of domesicity was an important factor in bringing them to an understanding of their role and standing both socially and economically. I believe this understanding, in turn, helped them develop ideas and platforms for their various reform movements.
I think that there is a definite link between domesticity and reform. In the Puritan times, the mother was regarded as the moral authority of the household; thus, logically, the women's duty was to advocate temperance, sabbatarianism, and other such activities. This is especially evident during and after the Second Great Awakening, when women's church membership increases and they become the church's recruters.
I am going to agree with everything that has previously been said by kelly and chloe, but I am also going to add my input on the last part of doc's question. Though I believe that women played the greatest part in achieving their rights, I also think that men played a part in the women right's movement. For instance, Thomas Paine was one of the first men to suggest that women should have equal rights as men. There are numerous other examples but unfortunately I need to back to homework, so thats my thought.
I agree with the fact that there is a link between this domesticity and reform, and Chloe, your argument is exactly what I was going to say. But as to the other questions, I'm not sure I agree as much. Yes, women possess a nurturing nature, this is true, but they don't possess a morality that men lack. They possess a morality just as men do. They, however, were forced to undergo more servitude than men did.
Looking back, you can observe that the first thing that blacks did when freed from slavery was form churches and become very religious. Indeed, during their time of slavery, they turned to the church to help them. While the plights of these two groups may not have been exactly alike, Sarah Grimké related the sufferings of women to those of slaves. So their turning to religion may have been a part of a way to overcome this struggle, or at least search for answers within it.
It is also relevant to comment that those with power are often corrupted by it. In this sense, the morality of these men could have been tainted by this dominance in the political sphere. Who knows for certain?
So it doesn't have to be women who carry out reform. Those who are oppressed will find a way to reverse the power through some means. Women aren't the only ones who have carried out reform and they certainly aren't the only ones possible. They just pulled through in a time they had to.
I think there are certain links between domesticity and reform. In all the societies we have read about, women served as the guiding moral figure in their households, which helped them develop certain values (a sense of caring, the ability to recognize human conditions through nurturing). In this respect, (most) women do possess a nurturing nature. Because women have been cast in a mother role since before Puritanical society, they have a nurturing nature. That being said, I don't think women possess a special morality men lack. I think there are certainly differences between women and men (women are more analytical, etc.), however, this does not mean that women are more virtuous. Both sexes are virtuous, and every individual chooses how to represent this virtue, no matter what their sex. In this light, no, it does not have to women who carry through on reform.
Im gonna have to disagree with you Luckey. While the church may have been a leading insititution in promoting reform, it usually feel into the realm of the sabbatarian movemen and temperance, not women's rights. In fact, relgion was more of a way of putting women into their sphere instead of breaking them free. The Bible classifies women as igornant and dumb through numurous examples. Eve is the epitomy of this ignorance as she foolishly accepts the fruit form the tree of knowledge despite God's warning. Women are seen therefore seen as againts God and at the same time corrupting men when Eve gives Adam. Still dont believe me? Take a look at biblical evidence.
"And a man will choose...any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman...Sin began with a woman and thanks to her we all must die" Ecclesiasticus, 25:18, 19 & 33. 1
"And I find more bitter than death the woman, whose heart is snares and nets, and her hands as bands: whoso pleaseth God shall escape from her; but the sinner shall be taken by her."
Catholicism has always kept women out of the clergy as well as protestant sects such as Puritanism. Even when women work with the church, it is primarily working through movements pretaining to women's spheres such as the temperance of their husbands. The church took little involvement and gave little support in women's rights movement. The church tends to be an institution of conservatism and not one of progressive beliefs.
Post a Comment